Thursday, February 26, 2015

My Scouting Parent's Pin Necklace

This my version of my Scout Parent's Pin Necklace.

 It's what all the cool moms have. And by cool, I do not mean homecoming queen cool, I mean, I haven't lost my child's keepsakes and he thinks his mom is cool. And that type of a cool is a very uncool type of cool, but really the only type of cool that matters. Not everyone has it. Now I do.

A friend of mine has a traditional one. I told her I wanted to copy her. She gave me permission.

I spent months deciding what I wanted to do. There are plenty of tutorials out there, but they seem to imply its hard to find the right ribbon. Not to mention 4 spools of ribbon is going to be more than $10. So I thought maybe I should just buy one and be done with it.
Then I found one with three stripes on etsy and I do have three boys....
Then I decided that was a little too much for me...

Then I found this site and they were selling red white and blue ones, because you know we are talking about Boy Scouts of AMERICA. Plus the eagle scout pins and neckerchiefs have red white and blue ribbons. So I decided that is what I was going to do.

But then my local walmart didn't have any red white and blue ribbon. So I got blue with white polka dots. It was ugly. I returned it. Then I realized I already knew how to make lanyards and key chains.
Then I could make one for absolutely FREE, with leftover patriotic fabric.
Which I did.

I love it, in I'm an uncool cool mom way. My husband thinks I'm hot. :/
I asked if I was rocking this lanyard and he ignored me. So I'm going to take that as a yes.

Oh and by the way I didn't use interfacing in this, because I wanted it to be less conspicuous and lay flat instead of stiff against me. Oh and that corner at the bottom was fairly tricky.
Plus mine double rocks because it has a personalized J.
It doesn't rock because my pins kind of blend in with my fabric.


What is that third pin you ask? The Heart of Scouting pin, that my mother in law encouraged me to get about 7 years ago. Now I have somewhere to put it! Yeah, I'll be rocking this necklace at the Blue and Gold Banquet on Saturday. My 9 year old is so excited, lets hope it doesn't get snowed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment